Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Candle Ice


A few more days and the ice will be gone.  :)   The ice is starting to candle and when you play with it it makes a very distinct clinking or tinkling sound like breaking wine glasses. 


View from the top.


When you grab a piece it has a long narrow crystal or 'candle' shape and about 4 or 5 inches long.  If we get any strong winds in the next few days the ice will go quickly.  Once it starts moving around our bay it makes a loud 'tinkling' sound as it hits the dock and the rocks on our shoreline. I love to listening to that sound as it means spring is here.


We had another cool experience with ice in 2007 and I wish I had taken more pictures.


Yes that is a layer of ice a foot off the ground stuck in the trees...any guesses how this happened?  I'll give you a hint....spring melt, freeze then thaw.



Our ditch across the road floods every year until the culverts that drain the water to lake side thaws out.  One night it went below freezing and created a 1/4" layer of ice but by morning the culvert had opened and all the water drained from underneath leaving the layer of ice in the trees. It was so cool!!  


The ice covered the road and this is what it looked like after the boys had fun walking on it and cracking it.  Okay I got into the action too!  :)  Who could resist that fun?  Crinkle, crunch, crinkle, crunch!!


9 comments:

  1. Great photos!
    Reminds me of the last time I worked up north in the bush (just north of Flin Flon, and a long time ago, before I became a mom), the ice had just come off the lake and we had to bath in it - brrrr - glad I don't have to do that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's totally awesome Kathy. It would be so amazing to hear the ice tinkling in the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy your photos are wonderful. I have been reading your blog for a while now, and totally enjoy it. Your quilting, photos, all inspire me. So, I chose your blog to receive the Liebster Blog award. You can check out the details on my blog. It is a recognition of "smaller" blogs to support and encourage each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing with us! I've never seen ice like that. I'm from North Carolina and it's considered a hard winter if we get an inch or two of snow here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy...I have been recently chosen to nominate 5 people for the Liebster Award. The Liebster award recognizes smaller blogs with a following of less than 200 followers. I enjoy reading your blog so I would like to nominate you! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love watching the lake transform just as much as your quilting projects. Thanks for the great pics and the details of how the ice sounds this time of year! It is almost as if I am there in person to experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the prettty pictures of a beautiful place to live!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your landscape photos are gorgeous!
    Love all of your quilting photos too.

    ReplyDelete