Sunday, January 28, 2018

Dresden Plate Quilt

sd1

This is Sandra’s Dresden Plate quilt and it is going to be a wedding gift for her daughter Heather this summer.   Sandra spent some time collecting fabrics that she knew her daughter would love, like polka dots and teal.  Heather likes to say ‘a quilt always needs yellow” so in went a pop of yellow too.  Sandra knows her daughter loves traditional quilts and likes her quilts quilted into “hard little blankets”.  For me that means ‘lots of quilting’ and this is the maximum density in quilting that I like to do!  Sandra also loves feather designs so I knew I could never put too many feathers on her quilts.  So between Sandra’s choice of pattern and fabrics, and my quilting designs I think that was mission accomplished!

sd2sd3

I started with the flowing feathers in the outer border and tried to give them a more random, uneven look which turned out great!  I’m usually keep my feathers more even but I needed to stretch out of my comfort zone and so happy I did!    I added feather curls in the sashing and then tried a feather design that Desley showed me and I used it in the background.  I stitched in the ditch around the Dresden Plates and then used my curved ruler to add the curved lines in the blades.  Then a simple swirl in the center to finish the job!

sd4

The grey border and sashing fabric is grey Essex Linen!  Batting is Quilters Dream Blend.

sd5sd6

I used 402 So Fine thread on the whole top and off white Bottom Line on the back so no thread changes.   This gave the back a whole cloth look and I love the texture it created!

sd7sd8

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this great wedding quilt! I love the feather quilting in the sashing! You do such a wonderful work on quilts for yourself and others, and you find great places to take the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, all over, and the photo settings, a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a magnificent wedding gift! She collected some lovely fabrics......fabulous quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't have too many feathers! Lovely - all of that quilt. One extremely happy bride coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The quilt is beautiful, and your quilting is superb! I love the centers too!

    https://prayersformymom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful. Kathy, you always do such a nice job with your custom work. I love the arcs in the Dresdens, really building the illusion of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful quilt made even more beautiful with your outstanding quilting.
    Love it all, but those feathered curls in the sashing are exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every choice you made is perfect. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful mom to daughter wedding gift. And your quilting was very complementary in every way. Your feathers are so nice, an inspiration to me. I have used that sashing design too, really like that one.

    ReplyDelete